Up for Growth COVID-19 Federal Policy Updates and Resources
Up for Growth COVID-19 Federal Policy Updates and Resources
As the federal government considers sweeping legislation to respond to the COVID-19 crisis, Up for Growth Action is working to ensure that housing priorities are included in the bills.
Consistent with our mission, Up for Growth Action is focused on advancing policies focused on two main priorities:
- Protecting families and individuals in their housing needs as they face large, constantly evolving public health and economic risk and uncertainty; and,
- Ensuring that the housing and construction industries have the resources to continue production, so that we can mitigate the negative impact of the crisis on households, jobs, and the economy.
Up for Growth Policy Resources
Up for Growth is actively engaged in policy analysis, development, and advocacy. Check here for access to our work as the situation unfolds. Our team is available at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your federal policy ideas, questions, and suggestions.
- WORKING PAPER: Up for Growth Proposed Policy Response to the COVID‐19 Pandemic: Secure the Safety and Soundness of the Housing Ecosystem, and Drive Economic Recovery through Critical Reforms to Address our National Shortage of Homes.
- Up for Growth - How Housing Fares in the CARES Act [Infographic]
- May 6, 2020 letter to Senate Majority Leader McConnell, Senate Minority Leader Schumer, House Speaker Pelosi, and House Minority Leader McCarthy calling for inclusion of Emergency Rental Assistance in next COVID relief legislative package.
- May 4, 2020 letter to Senate Majority Leader McConnell, Senate Minority Leader Schumer, House Speaker Pelosi, and House Minority Leader McCarthy calling for inclusion of Emergency Rental Assistance in next COVID relief legislative package.
- March 24, 2020 letter from Up for Growth Action in support of H.R. 6314, the Emergency Rental Assistance Act of 2020.
- March 20, 2020 letter from Up for Growth Action on Encouraging Immediate Steps to Ensure Safety & Soundness of Housing Markets.
- March 19, 2020 letter to Senate Majority Leader McConnell, Senate Minority Leader Schumer, House Speaker Pelosi, and House Minority Leader McCarthy supporting funding for increased funding to HUD Emergency Solutions Grants, Emergency Rental Assistance and Eviction Prevention Tools, and calling for a national moratorium on foreclosures and evictions during this crisis.
Federal COVID-19 Policy Updates
Up for Growth will keep this list updated with resources from the Administration, Congress, and relevant information sources so you can keep abreast of latest developments in the federal response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Center for Disease Control COVID-19 Resource Site
- Department of Homeland Security Cyber and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) List of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce. March 28, 2020.
- FiscalNote/CQ Roll Call Coronavirus Updates & Resource Center
- Republicans Introduce Bills to Protect Public Housing Residents and the Homeless. March 19, 2020.
- Waters Announces Committee Plan for Comprehensive Fiscal Stimulus and Public Policy Response to Coronavirus Pandemic. March 18, 2020.
- Brown Introduces Legislation to Protect Working Families from Foreclosure, Late Payments During the COVID-19 Pandemic. March 18, 2020.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) notice to inform mortgagees of a foreclosure and eviction moratorium for all FHA-insured Single Family mortgages for a period of 60 days. March 18, 2020.
Recent Housing and COVID-19 News
Keep checking here for a daily update of news around the country on the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on housing.
- With Evictions Looming, Cities Revisit a Housing Experiment From the '70s. The New York Times. October 1, 2020.
- Diverse? Yes. But are U.S. Suburbs Actually Integrated? Bloomberg CityLab. September 30, 2020.
- Will Housing Save the U.S. Economy? Seeking Alpha. September 30, 2020.
- Evictions Damage Public Health. The CDC Aims to Curb Them — for now. NPR. September 29, 2020.
- Home Sales Contracts hit Record With low Rates Fueling Rally. Bloomberg. September 30, 2020.
- An American Dream, Scorched in Oregon. The New York Times. September 29, 2020.
- Neighborhoods at Risk for COVID see Disproportionately High Eviction Rates. CNN. September 29, 2020.
Apartment Construction is at a Five-Year low. Million Acres. September 29, 2020.
- Detroit Makes a $50 Million Commitment Toward Affordable Housing. The Detroit News. September 29, 2020.
- California's Project Homekey Turns Hotels Into Housing. Next City. September 29, 2020.
- There's a Looming Eviction Crisis, and we Have no Idea how bad it Will be. Slate Magazine. September 28, 2020.
- Housing Economist Sees Recent Home Price Gains as 'Unsustainable'. Bankrate. September 28, 2020.
- U.S. Home Prices Jump 14 Percent Annually This Summer. World Property Journal. September 28, 2020.
- HUD Secretary Ben Carson: Cut Regulations, Consider Tiny Houses to Solve Affordable Housing Shortage in Areas Like Green Bay. Green Bay Press Gazette. September 28, 2020.
- How 2020 Broke the Housing Market: So Many Homes are Selling That we Could run out of new Houses in Months. Business Insider. September 27, 2020.
- Combatting the Housing Crisis in Rural America. Up for Growth. September 25, 2020.
Policy Papers and Resources from Up for Growth Advisory Board Members and Research Partners
Up for Growth is fortunate to have a robust Advisory Board made up of some of the leading experts across the housing spectrum. See below for some of our Advisory Board members perspectives on housing in the post-COVID environment.
- What Cities Tell Us About the Trajectory of the Pandemic. Joe Cortright, Principal, Impresa; Director, City Observatory. April 10, 2020.
- COVID-19 Housing Resources, Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University
- Lessons from the Great Recession for Today: Housing Aid Now! Carol Galante, Up for Growth Advisory Board Member and Faculty Director of the Terner Center for Housing Innovation and I. Donald Terner Distinguished Professor of Affordable Housing and Urban Policy. March 19, 2020.
- Cities and coronavirus: Some thoughts. Joe Cortright, Principal, Impresa; Director, City Observatory. March 17, 2020.
Resources from Up for Growth National Network Members
Up for Growth's strength is drawn from the depth and breadth of our member network. We are proud that so many of our members are engaging in providing direct support and resources in light of this crisis. See below for some of the communications, insights and recommendations our members have issued during the COVID-19 crisis.
- A.C.T.I.O.N. Recommendations in Response to COVID-19
- CBRE - COVID 19 Updates & Resources
- California YIMBY - Coronavirus Resources
- Chicagoland Apartment Association - Coronavirus Update
- Enterprise Community Partners - COVID-19 Response & Updates
- Housing Development Consortium of Seattle and King County - COVID-19 Resources
- National Apartment Association - Guidance for Dealing with Coronavirus
- National Association of REALTORS - Coronavirus Advocacy FAQs: RE Transactions, Independent Contractors, NAR Grants
- National Housing Conference - Coronavirus Resources
- National Low Income Housing Coalition - COVID-19 and Housing/Homelessness
- National Multifamily Housing Council - Advocacy During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- New York State Association for Affordable Housing - COVID-19 Guidance and Resource Update
- Seattle Metro Chamber of Commerce - Coronavirus Resources